a not-for-profit medical center
To develop confidence of the patients in the medical care given, an effort was made for the facelift of the hospital:
- More than 300 plants were planted. (There were only two trees)
- Wards were separated for male and female.
- Well equipped resuscitation room with facility of BVM, LMA, Intubation, Cricothyredotomy, Chest tube, Insertion for Air way problem.
- Protocol established for mass casualty management.
- Protocol based treatment established.
Key Features about Shamlaji Hospital:
- This Hospital is open 24X7 with one medical officer available round the clock.
- Patients admitted in the Hospital receive food three times a day from the hospital canteen for free.
- Government supplies drugs worth Rs. 200,000 every year, whereas the trust (AIMS) supplies drugs worth approximately Rs. 1,000,000 every year which help to maintain complete range of medicines at the Hospital.
- Earlier services at the Hospital were completely free for all the patients (APL, BPL). But in 2009-10 nominal user fee was introduced to reduce unnecessary burden on the hospital.
- The Hospital organizes free Plastic Surgery Camp every year in December for the poor patients of Shamlaji and nearby area. Around 25-30 surgeries are performed under this camp. Hospital does not charge for surgery, medicines or accommodation from patients.
- The Hospital organize weekly cataract surgery camp under which 15-20 patients are operated free of cost every week.
- Family Planning camp is held every week at the hospital. Approximately 10 operations are performed under this camp
- From 1st Aug 2010 hospital introduced a scheme under which new born baby kit, worth Rs. 250 is given to each delivery patient at the time of discharge (Both APL, BPL).
- Under the Mother & Child Health Care program, the Hospital appointed two Female Health Assistants to provide guidance to the female patients regarding Chiranjivi Yojana, family planning, gynecological problems, and immunization for children
Training programs are conducted for local Dai’s and ASHA workers to promote the institutional deliveries and treatment to new born baby.
- Incentive is given to ASHA if she accompanies a pregnant lady and fair is given to pregnant lady to encourage regular ANC check.
- Weekly training programs are conducted for nursing staff and medical officers.
- Employee contract is renewed on the basis of feedback from doctors and other staff of the hospital. Recommendations are submitted to the trustees, who take final decision.
- Required hospital management software has been deployed by the trust to help in keeping patient records, inventory maintenance, employee records, payroll, etc.
- Internal auditing takes place every two months; since the time of contract there hasn’t been a single audit carried out by government.
- Distribution of supplement food (Sukhadi) by trust to Ante natal women having low HB & pregnant women after delivery.
- Free Milk & Diet to the indoor patients.
- Free tea & food to patients’ one relative during the Plastic Surgery Camp and Cataract Camp.
- Free all kind of treatment to the RSBY Card holder.
- Free back home drop facility to pregnant woman after delivery